Youth Express offers a range of career and transition support services to all schools in the Hunter Valley as part of our School Support Services available as a fee-for-service or sponsorship.
These services are designed to support Career Education and VET programs to encourage successful transitioning of students from school to further education and employment. Events include:
Career Quests– Career Quest’s offer students the opportunity to investigate and learn about different industries, careers and the pathway options available through training and further education. Local industry leaders offer their time to present a short showcase of their personal employment pathway, industry expectation’s, barriers faced and the career opportunities that are available in their current industry.
Work Inspirations– Work Inspiration connects employers and schools enabling students and teachers to gain from the wisdom and traditions within business and industry. Work Inspiration provides career development, work based learning and employability skills development for young people. It engages students with direct exposure to and interaction with a range of employment role and career pathways. It can be tailored to specific or broad industry areas including:
- Connect with curriculum
- STEM / VET / Arts
- Women in Industry
- Social Enterprise
Work Preparation– Work Preparation is a 1 day classroom workshop covering a series of employability skills students need to know. 3 staff break students in the class up into small groups to cover key topics. These are interactive sessions aimed to provide students valuable skills that work towards a successful Work Placement opportunity. These sessions are particularly appropriate for students studying VET courses. Sessions are focused on presentation and communication for the workplace and cover areas such as:
- Appropriate clothing and footwear for different industries
- Personal hygiene and grooming
- Body language and attitude
- Introducing yourself to a Work Placement supervisor or prospective employer
- Communicating effectively in the workplace (students role play appropriate and inappropriate communication)
- Work Health and Safety and Equal Employment in the workplace power point presentation.
Employment related services:
- Industry standard resume development
- Interview skills
- How to get the job workshops and job seeking assistance job application writing