The Youth Express “STEAM Shack” is a mobile resource unit that supports the promotion of Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Math (STEAM) educational and career pathways. The initiative started in 2018 by the Australian Government “Building our Future” Fund that supported upgrades to the caravan. Sponsorship and donations from valued business and industry supported the purchase of equipment to help bring mini drones, robotics and virtual reality equipment to schools and community events to help build aspiration and skills for the future.
2018 Sponsors and Donors Include:
-Australian Government Building our Future Fund
-Aurizon Community Giving Fund
-Commonwealth Bank Employee Giving Fund
-Regional Development: Hunter
-Port Waratah Coal Services Community Investment and Partnership Programme
-Port Stephens Council Aboriginal Project Fund
Virtual Reality Equipment:
- 1 HTC Vive Pro
- 1 Gaming laptop for VR
- VR Software
- Power cords and stands
- Safety equipment
- VR Experiences: 100+ Apps to choose from
- Best for ages 11+
- Health and Safety Survey for under 18
- 10 Spheros EDU and Power Pack
- 1 EV3 Lego Mindstorm
- 1 StarLab Rover
- Laptop with coding software
- 10 Parrot Mambos
- 10 Tablets for coding and flying
- Extra batteries and charging stations
- Safety gear
Wireless Internet for up to 20 devices.
- Access to equipment
- Trained industry facilitators
- Youth Express support
- Set up and take down
- Public liability insurance
- Warranty coverage
- Risk assessments
- Full maintenance of equipment
- Health and safety survey
Programs and Activities:
All workshops and activities are customised to meet needs of students, size and space available to maximize impact and outcomes. 2019 activities are made possible through sponsorship, donation for fee-for service to support program sustainability.
- Permission to Play: Based on the philosophy of self-guided learning, participants can engage in activities and explore equipment in 1/2 day or full day sessions.
- Make Me Move: Structured individual workshops in robotics, coding or drones with industry experts.
- STEAM Quest: A full day of STEAM activities rotating through drone, robotics and virtual reality workshops.
Contact Youth Express to learn more today!
- Enhance Science, Technology, Engineering, Art & Math (STEAM) opportunities, participation and literacy across curriculum
- Support wellbeing of youth and community members by building confidence through new and engaging experiences
- Provide fun and interactive opportunities to explore science and technology
- Build partnerships with business, industry and education providers that will be sustained and ongoing
- Provide an ongoing legacy resource which will continue to support youth and community members
2018 Pilot Projects:
- 14 Events
- 30 Teachers engaged in professional learning
- 900+ Students engaged in activities
- 3,500+ Community members exposed
2018 Pilot Project Outcomes:
- 96% of youth found the STEAM Shack event rewarding
- 88% of youth found the equipment would help make their education more engaging
- 80% of youth felt more confident in using the equipment in the future
- 100% of teachers wanted to participate in future events
- 91% of teachers wanted to learn more about this equipment